Trivia & Tidbits
All that changed when a friend told me about Chef Point Café. Man, am I glad she did! Chef Point Café, located inside a Conoco gas station, offers many home-cooked meals that are not only delicious, but healthy too. I've had my family meet me there on numerous occasions. Chef Point Café has something for everyone.
The Niman Blackend Ribeye is a favorite of everyone in my family. The Niman steak is served with roasted potatoes and fresh vegetables. So, not only is the food delicious, but healthy too.
Niman beef is substantially better for you than regular beef. It is lower in fat, higher in omega-3 fatty acids to lower bad (LDL) cholesterol and higher in lineoleic acid, which also lowers LDL cholesterol and fights cancer. Niman beef is never given any antibiotics or growth hormones. Niman beef has many health benefits and that is important to mom. What makes Niman beef better for you?
- Animal feed is all vegetarian. No animal products other than milk for lambs.Animals must be humanely raised on environmentally sustainable ranches.
- No antibiotics, except in individual cases to treat illness.No ionophores, or hormone supplements.
- Animals are individually pre-approved and must be traceable to the farm where they were born.
- All vitamins, minerals, and other supplements must be approved.
- When it cannot purchase all available supply Niman Ranch favors full-time family farmers.
- Pens and other enclosures and facilities must allow animals to express their natural behaviors.
- Animals remain with their social groups.
- There are other standards with respect to pen sizes, bedding, bunks, shade, water, treatment of sick or injured animals, and herding practices.
- Niman Ranch inspects each supplier for adherence to the protocols. Hog farmers are audited yearly for compliance with the Animal Welfare Institute rules for ethical treatment.
- Angus, Hereford, and Shorthorn cattle graze on pasture for 14-18 months. When they reach 900 pounds, they are "finished" on a diet of barley, corn, wheat, soy, molasses, and hay.
What mom could argue with the benefits of eating Niman beef? This all seemed too good to be true. Now my family can eat together and have a healthy meal that they will enjoy. If you ask me, this is something I could definitely get used to. At least one thing could be crossed off my daily to-do list: eating a healthy dinner of Niman Blackened Ribeye with my family. Happy mom means a happy family. And my family is happy when we are at Chef Point Café.